Monday, September 18, 2017

I am a survivor.
I am a 29 year old woman diagnosed with Bipolar, PTSD, and have Dissociative disorders in the result of 23 years of on going sexual trauma that has left me scarred. But read that closely, I am scarred but NOT broken.
While I have struggled, I am fully capable of gaining FULL control of my life back.
In December 2015 I entered the hospital for what would be the longest of my admissions to the psychiatric inpatient unit: 9 months. And after that, I continued an array of admissions to the inpatient units: 5 admissions. I had 5 suicide attempts within the year to follow.
Was I broken?
Absolutely NOT!

I was misdiagnosed during a long term hospitalization with depression and put on anti-depressants which in turn "helped" me to become more impulsive, ruin relationships with those around me who once cared, intensify my already changing moods and feelings of anger, and lose touch with reality.
I'm finally off of that medication and it's working its way out of my body. I've since been put on something else and hoping that things will change.
Knowing medication doesn't solve all of illnesses downfalls, I am working my hardest to dread the hard waters.

I've gotten a job Mon-Fri again which is in turn providing me with stability and structure, making me feel like I'm making a difference in the lives of others. I feel good about what I am doing, that I'm doing things I am capable of doing again.
Whether I struggle to take care of myself is one thing, but I've always been stellar at my job. And THAT is something that in turn helps ME. It keeps me on my toes and reminds me to keep going, to do things to take care of myself to in turn keep me motivated to take care of me.
It makes sense, really.

Life is not easy.
It wasn't meant to be. Now, was it supposed to be such a battle? That, I'm not sure about, either. But I'm here now to make a difference. If I could survive this life, so can you. We can get through this life.

I am here to share my story. Every day is another battle. But there is something good in each day. And THAT is what is worth living for.

I will be here tomorrow, will you?
Kristen

2 comments: